Genesian Theatre Company at St John’s Church
See the home of one of Sydney’s longest running theatre companies
About the building
The St John’s Church building has a long history of public service and helping those in need, and has been the home of the Genesian Theatre Company since 1954.
Designed by architect William Munro and built in 1868, St John's Church was a church and a school for the poor until 1932 when it became the Kursaal Theatre for the Sydney Repertory Company. In 1938 it changed hands again to become the city’s first Matthew Talbot Hostel for homeless men. Since 1954, the heritage-listed Victorian Gothic building has served as a venue for the Genesian Theatre Company, which formed in 1944.
Visitors will be able to view the theatre foyer and auditorium, where theatre historian Grant Fraser will present a floor talk throughout the day about the history of the building. Visitors will also be able to venture onto the stage and tour backstage to the dressing rooms.Built
Find out more about this building here