King Street Courts
The site of the Supreme Court of NSW for nearly 200 years
About the building
The historic site of the Supreme Court of NSW is made up of three main buildings. The oldest is the King Street Courts, which dates back to 1827 and has been in continual use as a courthouse for almost 200 years.
Originally designed by colonial architect Francis Greenway, the court complex has seen many alterations and additions by his successors over the decades, as the demand for courtroom space surpassed supply. A registry building was added in 1860, and additional courtrooms and judicial chambers added in 1894 in a third building now known as St James Road Court. Despite these later interventions, or perhaps because of them, the story of this complex is as interesting as some of the significant trials heard here, and many of the original heritage features remain today.
The King Street Courts was the Supreme Court of NSW from 1827 to 1977. Since then, it has continued to support Supreme Court operations as one of the CBD’s main criminal trial courts. The Supreme Court itself celebrates its bicentennial in May 2024.Built
Alexander Dawson, 1860; Walter Liberty Vernon, 1894
Find out more about this building here