St Stephen's Uniting Church
An interwar Gothic–style church on one of Sydney’s most notable streets
About the building
Built in 1935, St Stephen’s Uniting Church was designed in the interwar Gothic style by architects John Reid and Finlay Munro junior. The church features Australian materials and work by local craftspeople and designers, including timber panelling in polished Queensland maple, plaster ceilings inspired by the English Perpendicular Gothic style, and leadlight windows by the prolific artist Norman St Clair Carter. The heritage-listed church now sits beneath a contemporary tower – Sixty Martin Place, designed by Hassell – which curves and cantilevers over the historical stone building.
Previously a Presbyterian church, St Stephen’s has been the home congregation of some significant Australians, including Peter Dodds McCormick (composer of the Australian national anthem) and opera singer Dame Joan Sutherland. Today St Stephen’s is still a worshipping congregation and a centre of musical excellence.
Visitors will be able to walk around the building and get up close to the stained-glass windows designed by Carter. Floor talks will be provided to explain the imagery and craftsmanship of these windows.
St Stephen’s Uniting Church has an active worshipping congregation. Visitors will be able to enter the building during Sunday worship from 10am to 11am, but will not be able to walk around until after that time. During worship, visitors will be able to enjoy the music of the pipe organ and renowned St Stephen’s Church Choir.Built
John Reid and Finlay Munro junior
Find out more about this building here