Sub Base Platypus
With a new lease on life, Sub Base Platypus has community and Country at its core
About the building
Sub Base Platypus – formerly a torpedo factory, submarine base and gas works – is a community recreation and work hub in North Sydney, homeland of the Cammeraygal people. Established as the North Shore Gas Company in 1876 it then became the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Torpedo Maintenance Establishment during World War II. During this time, a number of the munitions workers were women, filling traditionally male-dominated roles while men were at war.
From 1967–99 it became the base for the RAN’s Oberon-class submarines and named HMAS Platypus. The base provided training facilities, staff offices, accommodation, and workshops so the RAN's Oberon-class submarines and other visiting submarines could berth and receive maintenance.
In 2005, HMAS Platypus was handed to the Harbour Trust who began works to rehabilitate it as a public space and foreshore park. After extensive consultations, the Torpedo Factory Renewal Project took place and the Torpedo Factory was relaunched to the public in September 2023. Featuring a three-piece mural by Kamilaroi/Gamilaraay artist Dennis Golding and a decommissioned Mark VIII torpedo, Sub Base Platypus is a significant example of the adaptive reuse of a former industrial and military site with a focus on community and Country.Built
Find out more about this building here